Saucy Italian Sausage Sandwiches
I created this recipe years ago as a way to satisfy my sons' hearty appetites. I still make them for my husband and me. Any leftovers freeze well for a fast meal in the future.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 1 hour 20 min.
- 8 Italian sausage links (4 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced celery
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh celery leaves
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons browning sauce, optional
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 16 strips
- 8 Italian rolls, split
- Additional butter
- Additional Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large kettle or Dutch oven, cook sausages over medium heat in 1 tablespoon oil until no longer pink; remove and set aside.
- In the same kettle, saute onion, chopped green pepper and celery until tender. Stir in celery leaves, parsley and garlic; saute for 2 minutes. Add the next 12 ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Return sausage to kettle; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour.
- Discard bay leaf. In a large skillet, saute pepper strips in remaining oil for 5 minutes or until tender. Butter bottom halves of rolls; top with sausage, 1/4 cup sauce and two pepper strips. Replace tops. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if desired. Refrigerate or freeze remaining sauce.
Originally published as Saucy Italian Sausage Sandwiches in Country Pork
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.