Saucy Green Beans
A special cooked sauce added to fresh green beans makes this a unique and hearty side dish and a pretty complement to any entree. -Hazel Holley, Samson, Alabama
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 pounds fresh green beans
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Place beans in a large saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, saute onion in butter. Stir in flour and sugar until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to low; stir in the sour cream, parsley and vinegar until blended (do not boil).
- Drain beans; place in a serving bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Top with sauce and bacon.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 141 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 116mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Saucy Green Beans in Reminisce November/December 2003