Saucy Garlic Chicken for Two
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + cooling Bake: 35 min.
- 2 whole garlic bulb
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 4-1/2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper, divided
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1-1/4 cups grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Dash ground nutmeg
- Hot cooked pasta
- Chopped tomato and minced fresh parsley, optional
- Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut tops off of garlic bulbs; brush bulbs with half the oil. Wrap each bulb in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until softened. Cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place spinach in a greased 11x7-in. baking dish; sprinkle with half the salt and pepper. In a large skillet, brown chicken in remaining oil on both sides; place over spinach.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in 1 cup cheese, nutmeg and remaining salt. Transfer to a blender; squeeze softened garlic into blender. Cover and process until smooth. Pour mixture over chicken.
- Cover and bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until a thermometer reads 170° and sauce is bubbly. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer. Serve with pasta. Sprinkle with tomato and parsley if desired.
Mar 31, 2012
Followed recipe. The sauce was very good but not the "WOW" I was looking for.
Oct 11, 2011
I think that this would be better made with broccoli. The sauce was good. The spinach tasted like Boston Market's creamed spinach which is good, it just didn't seem to compliment the chicken for me.
Oct 11, 2011
I think that this would be better made with broccoli. The sauce was good. The spinach tasted like Boston Market's scalloped spinach which is good, it just didn't seem to compliment the chicken for me.
Feb 15, 2011
The flavour of the sauce is amazing.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.