Saucy Franks with Rice
"Here is a fast, flavorful, simple way to dress up plain old hot dogs," writes Roslyn Beal of Bremen, Georgia. Her hearty, economical mainstay comes in at only 43 cents per serving.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 package (1 pound) hot dogs, cut into bite-size pieces
- 5 cups hot cooked rice
- In a saucepan over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon to paper towels; set aside. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon of drippings. Saute onion, green pepper, celery and garlic in drippings until tender. Add pineapple juice, ketchup, salt and chili powder; mix well. Bring to a boil. Add hot dogs; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-8 minutes or until heated through. Serve over rice. Sprinkle with bacon.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 381 calories, 19g fat (8g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 979mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 11g protein.
Feb 19, 2011
Our family likes this dish for a quick meal for Saturday lunch.
Nov 29, 2008
I fall back on this recipe time and again when I'm short on time. I add pineapple chunks and use smoked sausage for a change.