Saucy Franks with Rice
"Here is a fast, flavorful, simple way to dress up plain old hot dogs," writes Roslyn Beal of Bremen, Georgia. Her hearty, economical mainstay comes in at only 43 cents per serving.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 package (1 pound) hot dogs, cut into bite-size pieces
- 5 cups hot cooked rice
- In a saucepan over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon to paper towels; set aside. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon of drippings. Saute onion, green pepper, celery and garlic in drippings until tender. Add pineapple juice, ketchup, salt and chili powder; mix well. Bring to a boil. Add hot dogs; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-8 minutes or until heated through. Serve over rice. Sprinkle with bacon.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 381 calories, 19g fat (8g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 979mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 11g protein.
Originally published as Saucy Franks with Rice in Quick Cooking Premiere 1998
Feb 19, 2011
Our family likes this dish for a quick meal for Saturday lunch.
Nov 29, 2008
I fall back on this recipe time and again when I'm short on time. I add pineapple chunks and use smoked sausage for a change.