Saucy Cranberry Cake
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- CARAMEL BUTTER SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1. In a small bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, salt and baking powder; add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Fold in cranberries.
- 2. Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 3. In a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in brown sugar and cream. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Serve with warm cake.
1 slice: 396 calories, 19g fat (12g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 367mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Nov 20, 2016
This is a Christmas dessert tradition, although I make a different sauce for this yummy cake: Melt 1/2 c. butter & 1 Tbsp. flour & 1 c. granulated sugar in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and immediately stir in 3/4 c. heavy whipping cream, 1 Tbsp. white vinegar (sounds weird, but trust me!) & 1 tsp. vanilla. Stir quickly until blended. Pour warm sauce over slightly-warm cake. Delicious!!!
Aug 25, 2010
The sweet caramel sauce is a great compliment to the tart cranberries. The cake itself is light and fluffy. Eating the cake when it's still warm from the oven is excellent.