Saucy Cranberry Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- CARAMEL BUTTER SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a small bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, salt and baking powder; add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Fold in cranberries.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in brown sugar and cream. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Serve with warm cake.
Editor's NoteThis recipe does not use eggs.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 396 calories, 19g fat (12g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 367mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Nov 20, 2016
This is a Christmas dessert tradition, although I make a different sauce for this yummy cake: Melt 1/2 c. butter & 1 Tbsp. flour & 1 c. granulated sugar in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and immediately stir in 3/4 c. heavy whipping cream, 1 Tbsp. white vinegar (sounds weird, but trust me!) & 1 tsp. vanilla. Stir quickly until blended. Pour warm sauce over slightly-warm cake. Delicious!!!
Aug 25, 2010
The sweet caramel sauce is a great compliment to the tart cranberries. The cake itself is light and fluffy. Eating the cake when it's still warm from the oven is excellent.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.