Saucy Chocolate Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa, divided
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- Ice cream or whipped topping
- Maraschino cherries, optional
- In a saucepan, combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1 tablespoon cocoa. Stir in boiling water until smooth. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in a bowl, cream butter, vanilla and remaining sugar. Combine flour, baking powder, salt and remaining cocoa; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Beat well. Pour the chocolate sauce into a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Drop batter by rounded teaspoonfuls onto sauce. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm with ice cream. Garnish with cherries if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 260 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 379mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Feb 2, 2010
I really liked this recipe. All the staples I had at home. The sauce is supposed to be runny. You turn your piece over onto the plate so the sauce is running all over the piece of cake.
Apr 25, 2009
My sauce was too thin (watery). We did not enjoy the texture or the flavor. Next time I'll make chocolate cake and top it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and drizzle with hot fudge.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.