Saucy Chicken and Florets
“Sometimes I make this simple dish lighter by using reduced-fat sour cream and cream of mushroom soup. For variety, try another veggie mix," writes Ruth Stallings from Spokane, Washington.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen cauliflower and broccoli florets
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup shredded Colby cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Place cauliflower and broccoli in a 2-1/2-qt. microwave-safe dish. Top with chicken. Cover and microwave on high for 10-14 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the soup, sour cream, garlic salt, onion powder and thyme. Drain chicken and vegetables; add soup mixture and stir to coat. Cover and microwave on high for 2-3 minutes or until heated through.
- Toss the bread crumbs, cheese and butter; sprinkle over chicken. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 45-60 seconds or until cheese is melted.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 390 calories, 18g fat (9g saturated fat), 116mg cholesterol, 905mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 36g protein.
Originally published as Saucy Chicken and Vegetables in Simple & Delicious March/April 2008