Saucy Calico Beans
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 1 hour
Makes12 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 4 medium onions, halved and sliced
- 5 bacon strips, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 cans (15-1/4 ounces each) lima beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pork and beans
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- In a Dutch oven, saute onions and bacon until onions are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add brown sugar, vinegar and mustard; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°.
- Stir beans into the sauce mixture. Transfer to a 3-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake 1 hour or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 276 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 608mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 8g fiber), 10g protein.
Oct 5, 2017
Too sweet for us. Would make again using less sugar and try adding green pepper and maybe some catsup.
Jan 20, 2017
I thought this was really good served with roast beef sandwiches and potato salad. I don't like lima beans so I substituted 1 can black beans and 1 can white kidney beans.
Sep 7, 2013
Just the right amount of sweet and savory. Tastes just like my aunt's calico beans that I've loved since I was a little girl!
Aug 19, 2013
A delicious family favorite! I dice my onions instead of halving and slicing, and I use great northern beans in place of the lima. This is also a great recipe for the slow cooker. After stirring in the beans, I put it all in my crock pot on low for 5 hours. The left-overs are tasty, too!
Oct 12, 2012
Very saucy and good. I added chopped green pepper.
Sep 18, 2012
I've made this recipe several times. It's delicious as is but sometimes I like to change it a little....different beans, sauces, etc. Lots of compliments when I serve it.
May 29, 2012
Yummy, yummy, yummy.
May 25, 2012
This is truly a winner. I use hamburger for a main dish and without if it is a side to hamburgers. Great either way. I use butter beans instead of lima beans and add ketchup as well.
Apr 23, 2012
Fixed these beans for a dinner party last weekend. I just received an invitation to a potluck. I was asked to please bring "those beans". I did use brown sugar splenda instead of regular brown sugar.
Jul 13, 2011
I had found this recipe about five years ago, have made it numerous times for church gatherings, and it was a huge hit... well I moved and lost all my recipes, and was elated to have found it again on here!!! This recipe is absolutely amazing! I add either lil smokies or kielbasa to it to add to the flavor!