From Ogden, Utah, Kris Capener shares her secret recipe for getting the kids to eat their broccoli. “The tasty sauce and fun shape of the bow-tie pasta bring them back for second servings of this yummy, healthy dinner every time,“ she says.
Recommended: 60 Easy Chicken Dinners
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces uncooked bow tie pasta
- 3-1/2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the tomatoes, broth, basil, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 13-15 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions, adding the broccoli during the last 5 minutes. Drain; top with tomato sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Saucy Bow Ties and Broccoli in Light & Tasty June/July 2006, p53