Saturday Night Pizza
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a small bowl, combine 2 cups flour, yeast, oregano, salt and garlic powder. Add water and oil; beat just until moistened. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook sausage until no longer pink; drain and set aside.
- On a floured surface, roll dough into a 15-in. circle. Transfer to a 14-in. pizza pan coated with cooking spray. Build up edges slightly. Prick dough thoroughly with a fork. Bake at 450° for 5-8 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Spread crust with spaghetti sauce. Top with spinach, mushrooms, pepper, onion and sausage. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 298 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 756mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 6g fiber), 17g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 medium-fat meat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Apr 1, 2011
My husband and 2 sons love this. They especially like it when I double the recipe and use part of it to make breadsticks. The recipe is easy and quick to make.
Mar 28, 2011
LOVED it! Four kids loved it, and didn't pick off any of the toppings (surprise!) and my husband said it was the best pizza he has ever had. WIll definately make again.
Nov 13, 2010
This was fast for a scratch-made pizza, and the crust was excellent!