Satisfying Lentil Soup
Packed with a combination of flavorful ingredients, this heart healthy soup packs 15 g of fiber into each serving, and we're sure you'll go back for seconds! Edna Hoffman - Hebron, Indiana
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 65 min.
Makes10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 5 cups water
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried lentils, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- In a Dutch oven, saute the carrots, celery and onion in oil until tender. Add the ginger, curry, garlic, cumin and coriander; cook and stir 1 minute longer.
- Add the water, broth and lentils; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-55 minutes or until lentils are tender. Stir in the cilantro, salt and pepper.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 203 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 415mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 15g fiber), 14g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Lentil Soup in Healthy Cooking August/September 2008
Jan 31, 2014
We have been using this recipe since it first came out in 2008. My whole family loves it! We have 10 picky eaters and every one of them enjoy this soup. I do add kielbasa to it and it only makes it better.