Satisfying Cremini Barley
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound sliced baby portobello (cremini) mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Stir in barley. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until barley is tender. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the onion, celery and carrot in oil for 3 minutes. Add mushrooms; saute for 3-4 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the spinach, beans, pepper and barley; cook and stir until spinach is wilted. Stir in parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 255 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 532mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 12g fiber), 11g protein.
Feb 7, 2012
This was wonderful even without the mushrooms :)
Nov 9, 2009
This was really bland. Maybe it would be better with some canned diced tomatoes.
Aug 10, 2009
Fantastic! Kids loved it! Very quick!
Mar 14, 2009
This is very satisfying! This is a great dish for anyone dieting. It's very filling.
Jan 26, 2009
Wonderful light meal. I added chunks of chicken breast because my husband would have thought it wasn't enough. Perfect! Even the kids loved it. Will make this a regular.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.