Satisfying Chicken and Veggies
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1 medium carrot, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up and skin removed
- 1 jar (24 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Place the potatoes, onion, celery, carrot and yellow pepper in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Top with chicken. Combine the remaining ingredients; pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until chicken and vegetables are tender.
1 each: 357 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 728mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 4g fiber), 31g protein.
Sep 22, 2016
Nice recipe. To keep the sodium down for my hubby I skipped the bottled spaghetti sauce and used a can of diced tomatoes with no salt added. Pureed them in my blender with all spices except skipped the salt. I upped the oreg, basil and pepper to 1/2 t.. Since a helpful person left the review about the cooking time problem, I cooked mine for an hour on high and then turned to low for the next 4 hours.
Jan 30, 2013
Lots of veggies, but I would increase the carrots and reduce the onion if I were to make it again. And the cooking time is way off. It was on low, as instructed, for 3 hours and on high for two more and the potatoes still weren't done. The carrots were a little crunchy, but that was okay.
Dec 31, 1969
This recipe sounds great. Love the use of all the vegetables. I will probably use family size package of chicken thighs. Thanks for the recipe.