Santa’s Wake-Up Cookies
My granddaughter inspired me to create this recipe. One Christmas, she woke up in the middle of the night before Santa had arrived. She didn’t think there was any way he could still have time to come to our house. I told her not to worry because all the cookies and milk that everyone leaves for Santa helps keep him awake all night. It also helps when the cookies have espresso in them, which these do!
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 3-1/2 dozen
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1 to 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Cream butter, sugars and molasses until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, espresso powder and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Add cranberries and pecans; mix well.
- Shape dough into 1-in. balls; place 2 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake until set, 8-10 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 56 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 43mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Santa's Wake Me Up Cookie in Ultimate Cookie Swap Bookazine 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.