Santa Fe Supper
This zesty skillet meal is a great way to bring a little variety to your dinnertime lineup. Green chilies spice up the rice, while salsa, zucchini, onion and cheddar cheese dress up the ground beef mixture.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 small zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 1-1/2 cups chunky salsa, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the zucchini, onion, 1 cup salsa, salt and pepper; cook until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Add pepper Jack cheese and chilies to the rice. Sprinkle cheddar cheese over beef mixture; serve with rice and remaining salsa.
Originally published as Santa Fe Supper in Quick Cooking January/February 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.