- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro or parsley leaves
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded
- 2 teaspoons red currant jelly
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 New York strip steaks (about 1 inch and 7 ounces each)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, optional
- In a small saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Transfer to a blender or food processor. Add green chilies, cilantro, jalapeno, jelly, bouillon, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, seasoned salt and oregano. Cover and process until smooth. Return mixture to saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Set aside and keep warm.
- Sprinkle steaks with salt and pepper. Grill steaks, uncovered, over medium heat or broil 4-6 in. from heat for 4-8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for rare, a meat thermometer should read 140°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°).
- Serve steaks with green chili sauce and sprinkle with cheese if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forSanta Fe Strip Steaks
"Steaks were good, just not spectacular. I have made similar sauces for steak with simpler ingredients. I did use the red current jelly as directed."
"This is incredible! Could not find "red current jelly" so we used hot pepper jelly. Even our non meat eating son asked for more!"
"Incredible! Even our picky non meat eating 16 yr old enjoyed it!"