Santa Fe Cornmeal Pizza
You'll love the cornmeal crust of this "knife-and-fork" pizza that has been a hit with our family for years. It's a nice change from traditional pizza and so easy to make. -Mirien Church, Aurora, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1-1/3 cups water, divided
- 6 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, julienned
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 8 fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup sliced ripe olives
- In a small bowl, combine the cornmeal and 2/3 cup water. In a large saucepan, bring the remaining water to a boil. Gradually whisk in the cornmeal mixture; cook and stir until thickened. Stir in 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese. When cool enough to handle, pat into a greased 12-in. pizza pan. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the onion, green pepper and garlic in oil until tender. Add the tomato sauce, mushrooms, basil, oregano and pepper. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Add the beans.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup mozzarella and 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese over crust. Top with the bean mixture and remaining cheeses. Sprinkle with olives. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted.