Santa Fe Chicken and Rice
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Chopped fresh cilantro, optional
- In a small skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender.
- Add broth, salsa and garlic powder; bring to a boil. Stir in rice; return to a boil. Place chicken over rice. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender and a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°, turning chicken halfway.
- Remove from heat. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and let stand until cheese is melted. If desired, sprinkle with cilantro.
Nutrition Facts1 chicken breast half with 3/4 cup rice: 462 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 109mg cholesterol, 814mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 37g protein.
May 10, 2016
Such a great and easy meal. I used coconut oil instead of butter and skipped the cheese. Really good meal.
Apr 7, 2016
This is really good! I have to triple or quadruple the recipe to feed a family, but it always turns out very well. I usually have to add a little extra water.
Dec 22, 2015
This recipe is not only quick and easy to prepare, but it's delicious! I used homemade salsa without much liquid, so it required a bit more broth. I'll definitely be making this again!
Oct 14, 2015
Wonderful! A keeper, for sure. And since I always have chicken breasts in the freezer and fresh salsa in the fridge this recipe is a natural on those what-can-I-fix-for-dinner nights.Some recipes call for a packaged Spanish-type rice mix. I've always prepared the one my husband likes; he doesn't care for my favorite. But since he likes this rice even better, I will use it from now on in those other recipes. Adding salsa before cooking the rice is a wonderful idea.
Jan 19, 2013
Jan 15, 2012
This recipe is easy and quick to prepare. The rice is as good as the salsa you use. I used black bean and corn salsa...delicious!
Jan 18, 2011
This recipe was so delicious and easy. I really enjoyed the flavor of the chicken and the rice. I was concerned about using salsa in this dish, but it was really good.
Apr 11, 2008
An EXCELLENT meal. This meal along with a salad makes a filling, healthy meal.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.