- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- White, red and blue candy coating disks
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until firm.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. Santa cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 6-8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- Melt white candy coating; using a clean paintbrush, add a beard, mustache, eyebrows, hat brim and pom-pom to each Santa. Melt red coating; add hat, nose and mouth. Melt blue coating; add eyes. Let stand until set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Reviews for Santa Claus Cutouts
"I found this to be really good cut-out cookie dough. I had to use a little more flour so it wouldn't stick. It had a good flavor."
"My mom and I make cookies with the same cutter and they have always been my favorite. We pipe the frosting on which is quite time consuming. I am anxious to try the painting technique this Christmas!"
"chilled the dough for hours and was sticky and added more flour repeatedly not good."
"I couldn't wait to make these cookies. What a disappointment! I followed the recipe exactly and let the dough chill for 3 hours in frig. The dough was sticky and impossible to roll. I then added more flour, but still was not able to roll it out and use cookie cutters. I do not recommend this recipe!"
"I would love to make these cookies but I have lost my cookie cutter. Where can I purchase another one?"
"I adore these!!"
"Where can I find the actual Santa cookie cutter? He's one of the nicest ones I've seen. Thank you. GK, Westmont IL"
"This has become one of my most favorite cookie recipe! My kids love painting the candy coating on!"