- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 cups sour cream
- 1-1/3 cups boiling water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 5 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour three 9-in. round baking pans.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition. Stir in water until blended.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, 30-35 minutes. Cool in pans 10 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a metal bowl over simmering water, melt butter and chocolates; stir until smooth. Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, sour cream and vanilla. Add chocolate mixture; beat until smooth. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews forSandy's Chocolate Cake
"This recipe is perfect as written! I didn't change a thing and got fantastic reviews from friends and family! Exactly what I was looking for."
"Outrageously rich and moist chocolate cake. I baked in two deep 9 inch round cake pans ( Williams Sonoma). I increased bake time to 45 minutes. easy prep for such a delicious cake. I used a “special dark” cocoa powder and added 2 teaspoons of expresso powder. I used my own recipe for chocolate buttercream icing . Really tall layer cake."
"Made it for my granddaughter, Ava today. It was wonderful, so much chocolate flavor. The frosting wasn't gooey sweet but smooth and silky and had perfect sweetness. Everyone agreed it is a keeper, will make it again and again.Thanks for sharing such a wonderful recipe."
"cake was good, not the frosting. We didn't care for it at all."
"Have made this many times with beautiful success, and currently have a halved recipe in the oven in 2 cake layers.For the not rising comment, I wonder how old the baking soda was or if toni used cold liquids. A quick tip to make sure that the cake has a good bake (or to make any cake bake well) is to have room-temperature liquids/soft solids. I allow the butter, eggs, and sour cream to get to room temperature before using them. I always keep my vanilla extract at room temperature. I also used cake flour and follow the tips on the cake flour box about how to compensate for all-purpose flour (it does make a difference for cakes, I promise.) While the batter does get more liquidy after adding the water, I wonder if Esteli had the oven pre-heated to the right temperature?If you don't prefer the frosting there are THOUSANDS of frosting recipes out there. Pick one that is highly rated by many people and try it. :)"
"This is a fantastic cake for carving novelty cakes. I used a bread knife and there were so few crumbs. I'm grateful for this recipe, as I had tried another with poor results. And I was practically out of regular sugar. Thankfully, I had these ingredients on hand. So my son ended up with a beautiful birthday cake that tasted delicious. It was perfect. Just a note to other baker's, after cooling and resting this cake seemed to compress a tad more than most other cakes (I used shaped pans, bit had to do carving to get it right. It was very worth it. The rocket cake had a tapered base and wide middle but the cake still stood firmly on its own. And the two baker's who tried the cake asked for the recipe. Thank you!"
"This cake was delicious. It's been a hit each time I've made it!"
"ohhhhhh Sandra-thank you for posting this-we are finishing up a whole chocolate cake and have about 1/4 of it left-it was spectacular and the frosting was stupendous! can't wait to make yours-what a shame I have all the ingredients for your recipe :)jcott-I will be using neither, but will be using coke-a-colaRonda, OMFG really? how necessary is that?"
"Won't let you down; fabulous, a keeper!"