- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 cups sour cream
- 1-1/3 cups boiling water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 5 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour three 9-in. round baking pans.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition. Stir in water until blended.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, about 30-35 minutes. Cool in pans 10 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a metal bowl over simmering water, melt butter and chocolates; stir until smooth. Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, sour cream and vanilla. Add chocolate mixture; beat until smooth. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews forSandy's Chocolate Cake
"This cake is awesome. I live at high altitude and had to make adjustments to account for that. I decreased the sugar to 2 1/2 cups, increased the flour to 3 cups, increased the water by adding an additional 1/3 cup and decreased baking soda to 2 1/2 tsp. I made cupcakes instead of cake. I usually let my batter rest for at least 15 minutes before baking. However, I made my first batch as soon as the batter was loaded and the cupcakes rose okay but spread a little. The batter that had a chance to rest made perfect cupcakes. They rose without spreading at all. It's important at high altitude to not fill the pans too high. I filled them to about a half to 3/4 inch from the top and it was perfect. Unfortunately there are no magic adjustments that you can use for every recipe. It's all trial and error at altitude, but my adjustments luckily were perfect for this recipe."
"The cake itself was excellent and I will absolutely make again. Very thick three layers and super moist. I was not thrilled with the frosting. It has a sharp taste to it possibly from the sour cream. It ended up tasting primarily like powdered sugar/sour instead of being chocolatey like I was hoping. Nonetheless I received many compliments and as some other commenters have said it does keep well for several days."
"Awesome cake! Outstanding several days later as well! Didn't change a thing."
"Hello everyone, I am not a pro in the kitchen but love to try recipes and eat delicious food. I followed this recipe exactly as above. The amount of water seems problematic to me, I put the amount indicated and the bater became so watery, but decided to give it a shot. After 35 minutes of baking the cake was still SUPER watery, so I put it an other 10 minutes, and still watery. It ended up staying in the oven for more than an hour until a toothpick came out clean. The cake came out actually kind of dry instead of moist. Can someone tell me what I did wrong?"
"Hello everyone, I am not a pro in the kitchen but love to try recipes and eat food. I followed this recipe exactly as above. The amount of water seems problematic to me, I put the amount indicated and the bater became so watery, but decided to give it a shot. After 35 minutes of baking the cake was still SUPER watery, so I put it an other 10 minutes, and still watery. It ended up staying in the oven for more than an hour until a toothpick came out clean. The cake came out actually kind of dry instead of moist. Can someone tell me what I did wrong?"
"I followed the direction closely, the cakes did not rise at all. I have googled reasons why it would not rise and baking powder was mentioned many times. I see all the great reviews but cannot find out why mine flopped so bad."
"This was the most delicious chocolate cake - I didn't change a thing. The flavor and moistness that the sour cream gave it was unlike any other. It kept for several days before even beginning to get slightly dry, which is definitely worth a of a five star rating in my book! Will definitely make again!"
"I luv this cake"
"sandy u never fail to amaze me i luv this cake"