Sandra’s Apple-Rhubarb Pie
Apple trees line our driveway, so it's easy to find the ingredients for this tasty pie.—Sandra Gonzales, Klamath Falls, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3/4 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen chopped rhubarb
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim even with edge of plate. In a bowl, combine the eggs, sour cream, butter, orange zest and salt. Stir in the rhubarb and apples. Add the sugar and flour; toss to coat. Pour into prepared crust.
- Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry. Cover edges loosely with foil. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; remove foil. Bake 40-45 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 456 calories, 21g fat (10g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 338mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Sandra's Apple-Rhubarb Pie in Country Woman September/October 2003