A jar of this attractive layered mix produces a yummy batch of fudgy brownies that are dressed up with chocolate chips and M&M’s. “If you need a quick gift for a neighbor or teacher, this is a delicious solution,” says Joan Hohwald of Lodi, New York.
Recommended: 30 Recipes for Gifts in a Jar
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate M&M's
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine flour, salt and baking powder. In a 1-qt. glass container, layer flour mixture, cocoa, sugar, brown sugar, chocolate chips and M&M's, packing well between each layer. Cover and store in a cool dry place up to 6 months. Yield: 1 batch (about 4 cups total).
- To prepare brownies: Preheat oven to 350°. Beat eggs, oil and vanilla. Stir in brownie mix. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake until center is set, 26-28 minutes (do not overbake). Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Sand Art Brownies in Quick Cooking November/December 2005, p25