San Jose Tortilla Pie
Because my husband is in the Navy, we've lived in many parts of the country and have had the great opportunity of trying different foods in each region. This is a family favorite served with fried potatoes and fruit.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 6 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 to 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 6 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Sliced ripe olives, optional
- Cut each tortilla into eight wedges. Saute a few at a time in hot oil until crisp. Drain on paper towels; sprinkle with salt.
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion, green pepper and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Stir in chili powder, oregano and cumin.
- In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer half of the tortilla wedges, meat mixture and cheese. Sprinkle chilies evenly over cheese. Top with the remaining meat and cheese. Tuck remaining tortilla wedges, point side up, around the edge of dish.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs, milk and salt. Pour evenly over top. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 25-30 minutes. Garnish with olives if desired.
Originally published as San Jose Tortilla Pie in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.