Saltimbocca with Chicken
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 4 thin slices prosciutto or deli ham, halved
- 16 fresh sage leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh sage
- In a large saucepan, saute onions in butter until tender. Add rice and stir to coat. Stir in broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile, cut a slit lengthwise through the thickest part of each chicken breast; fill with prosciutto and two sage leaves. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown chicken in oil in batches for 1-2 minutes on each side; return all to the pan. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes or until a thermometer reads 170°. Remove and keep warm.
- Add wine to the pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2-3 minutes or until slightly reduced. Stir in the sour cream, sugar and minced sage; heat through (do not boil). Serve with chicken and rice.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 410 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 855mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 29g protein.
Aug 14, 2017
Omg me and husband LOVED this. The only changes I made was to use chicken stock for the rice for a richer flavor, I doubled the sauce (glad I did) and used dried tarragon instead of sage since other reviews mentioned it could be overwhelming. The tarragon gave it an almost sweet but savory flavor. I sprinkled it inside the prosciutto pocket, on the chicken and in place of the sage in the sauce. Oh and I sauteed some mushrooms in butter on the side for my own selfish purposes. In a strange calamity in the universe, I married a mushroom hater. I still got the better deal. My only regret is my husband got to the leftovers before I did. The rice was great! Would definitely make again.
Dec 21, 2011
This was very good, my husband and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I didn't have fresh sage, so I used ground sage. It still had wonderful flavor, will definitely make this again!
Dec 18, 2010
The sauce had a nice flavor. The sage was a bit strong, and it took a while to make since my pan once fits two at a time. Even though it was good, I don't think I'll be making this again.
Nov 16, 2009
I thought the sage was a bit overpowering, so I think I will rub some on the outside of the chicken next time instead of putting it in with the prosciutto. But otherwise very good.
Jun 7, 2009
My husband swears that the leftovers are better if you put the sauce on top and let it soak in. We liked this one!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.