My shortbread squares are the ultimate go-to for cookie trays and gift-giving. The buttery caramel and toasted nuts make it a tough to eat just one. —Diana Ashcraft, Monmouth, Oregon
Featured In: Top 10 Dessert Bars
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups coarsely chopped pecans, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line two 13x9-in. baking pans with foil, letting ends extend up sides of pan.
- Place flour, confectioners' sugar, cornstarch and salt in a food processor; pulse until blended. Add butter; pulse until butter is the size of peas. Divide mixture between prepared pans; press onto bottom of pans. Bake 10-12 minutes or until light brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- For filling, melt butter in a large saucepan. Stir in brown sugar, corn syrup and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook and stir until sugar is completely dissolved, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in chocolate chips, cream and vanilla until smooth. Stir in pecans. Spread over crusts.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until filling is bubbly. Cool completely in pans on wire racks. Using foil, lift the shortbread out of pans. Gently peel off foil; cut into bars. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Salted Pecan Shortbread Squares in Taste of Home December 2015, p66
Reviews forSalted Pecan Shortbread Squares
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 4, 2015
"Had these at a Christmas party. Excellent !"
Reviewed Nov. 6, 2015
"Very, very good."