My mother-in-law shared this treasured family recipe with me. We adore the tender nutty cake with its smooth frosting. When my husband, Ralph, finds I've fixed this dessert, he's one happy man!
Recommended: 78 Christmas Potluck Desserts for 12 or More
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 pound salted peanuts, ground
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add egg; beat well. Combine the flour, baking soda and baking powder; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Set aside 3/4 cup peanuts for topping. Stir remaining peanuts into batter. Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, for the frosting, combine the flour and the milk in a saucepan until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; cool completely. In a bowl, cream the butter and confectioners' sugar until fluffy. Add the cooled flour mixture and the vanilla; beat until fluffy, about 4 minutes. Spread over the cake; sprinkle with the reserved peanuts. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Originally published as Salted Peanut Cake in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2001, p42