Salted Butterscotch Cheesecake
Salted butterscotch is everywhere—candy, ice cream and now...cheesecake! Silky smooth cheesecake is dressed with a decadent butterscotch sauce that really stands out next to the salty pretzel crust. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 55 min. + chilling
- 1-1/4 cups finely crushed pretzels
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant butterscotch pudding mix
- 3 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- BUTTERSCOTCH SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 carton (8 ounces) Mascarpone cheese, softened
- Sea salt
- Place a greased 9-in. springform pan on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 18 in. square). Securely wrap foil around pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the pretzels, butter and sugar. Press onto the bottom of prepared pan. Place pan on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, whisk the condensed milk, milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Beat in pudding mixture and vanilla. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until combined. Pour over crust. Place springform pan in a large baking pan; add 1 in. of hot water to larger pan.
- Bake at 325° for 55-65 minutes or until center is almost set and top appears dull. Remove springform pan from water bath. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; cool 1 hour longer.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar and cream. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla and salt.
- In a small bowl, combine Mascarpone cheese and 1/3 cup sauce until smooth. Spread over cooled cheesecake; refrigerate overnight. Cover and refrigerate remaining sauce.
- Remove sides of pan. Just before serving, sprinkle cheesecake with sea salt; drizzle with butterscotch sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 slice with 4-1/2 teaspoons sauce: 714 calories, 50g fat (30g saturated fat), 202mg cholesterol, 698mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (47g sugars, 0 fiber), 12g protein.
Originally published as Salted Butterscotch Cheesecake in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.