Salt & Pepper Caramel Cups
With sea salt and pink peppercorns, these sophisticated treats will wow your guests. The festive little cups look and taste like they came from a pricey confectionery. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Cook: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- CHOCOLATE CUPS:
- 1 package (12 ounces) dark chocolate chips
- 4 teaspoons shortening
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips, melted
- Coarse sea salt and whole pink peppercorns
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup and butter; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook 4 minutes longer without stirring.
- Remove from heat; gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until a candy thermometer reads 238° (soft-ball stage). Remove from heat; stir in pecans and vanilla. Transfer to a large bowl; cool completely, about 1-1/2 hours (mixture will thicken upon cooling).
- For cups, in a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Using a narrow pastry brush, evenly coat the inside of thirty 2-in. foil liners with chocolate. Refrigerate until firm, about 15 minutes. Repeat twice to coat three times, reheating melted chocolate as necessary.
- Remove chocolate cups from liners; fill each with about 2 tablespoons caramel. Drizzle tops with melted chocolate; sprinkle with salt and peppercorns.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts1 serving (calculated without salt): 285 calories, 18g fat (8g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 78mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Salt and Pepper Caramel Cups in Country Woman Christmas 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.