- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1-1/2 cups salsa verde, divided
- 8 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Optional toppings: avocado slices, thinly sliced green onions or fresh cilantro leaves
- Combine the chicken, sour cream and 3/4 cup salsa in a small bowl. Spread 1/4 cup salsa on the bottom of a greased 8-in. square baking dish.
- Layer with half of the tortillas and chicken mixture; sprinkle with the tomatoes, minced cilantro and half of the cheese. Repeat layers with remaining tortillas, chicken mixture and cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Serve with remaining salsa and, if desired, optional toppings. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forSalsa Verde Chicken Casserole
"I only made changes to use what I had on hand. I used four 10" flour tortillas, two for each layer, all cut in half with straight side facing outward. I used two 12.5 Oz cans of Costco chicken breast, drained, and my homemade salsa verde. I used pre-shredded Mexican cheese mix that was in my fridge. I also divided the chopped tomatoes so I had some on each layer & topped off with a light skim of salsa verde on top. This casserole is GREAT! Will definitely be cooking again!"
"This is amazingly good!!!"
"I just made this tonight. IT IS DELICIOUS! Thank youThe only thing I would do differently is make sure the final layer has tomatoes on top so the cheese doesn't get too crusty."
"Amy, I think your mistake was adding salsa verde to each layer. That is not what the recipe directs. I made this and the corn tortillas held up very well, even as leftovers the next day. The flavors were great. Because I did not have any rotisserie chicken, I cooked a couple large chicken breasts seasoned with taco seasoning. Will definitely make again."
"This had amazing flavor but the corn tortillas basically disintegrated. It was a soupy mess. Followed the recipe exactly except I added a little more salsa verde to each layer."
"Amazingly delicious and so quick to make!This recipe needs no changes. But we really enjoy salsa verde so I use extra. And I have used canned, diced tomatoes if I did not have fresh on hand! This is a frequent meal at our house!"
"I made this tonight. Absolutely delicious! I cooked my own chicken breasts with a southwest seasoning but followed the recipe except I sprinkled some frozen corn on with the tomatoes and cilantro to add a little texture. I will certainly make this regularly only maybe adding a little more spice."
"I drained the salsa verde before I mixed it with the sour cream and chicken. I cut the tortillas into 2 in. strips. THIS WAS PERFECT! My fiance who is an inspiring chef, praised me for how delicious it was! I was very impressed that my picky 11 year old loved it as well!"
"Recipe came up on Facebook newsfeed so we decided to give it a try. The only variation in our dish was using 1 can of drained diced tomato(basil, oregano, garlic)since that is what we had. We also divided the tortillas into 1/4 as suggested by another reviewer. It was delicious and at the rate we are eating there will be nothing left."
"I really wanted to like this but it turned out to be a soupy (even though I cooked my own chicken beasts), tasteless mess. All you could taste was cilantro. I do not recommended this recipe!"