"You can't beat this combination of sweet squash, zippy salsa and eye-catching orange color for a deliciously different and fun side dish," assures Marilyn Young of Riverside, Ohio.
Recommended: How to Cook Spaghetti Squash
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2/3 cup salsa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- In a large saucepan, bring 1 in. of water to a boil; place squash in a steamer basket over water. Reduce heat; cover and steam for 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in the salsa, salt and squash cubes. Spoon half of the mixture into a greased 1-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of cheese. Top with the remaining squash mixture.
- Cover and bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Uncover; top with remaining cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Salsa Squash in Taste of Home October/November 2001, p11
Reviews forSalsa Squash
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 18, 2013
"I love this recipe! I make it often."
Reviewed Oct. 18, 2010
"I did not like this at all. The flavor combination just didn't taste good at all."