Salsa Fish Sandwiches
These spicy and crispy breaded fish fillets are delicious on their own, but when topped with a tangy salsa mixture, they take on a whole new flavor profile. —Healthy Cooking Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 4 cod fillets (6 ounces each)
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- 1/4 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 4 slices tomato
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- In a shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs, garlic powder, cayenne and parsley. Coat fillets with bread crumb mixture.
- Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, lightly coat the grill rack. Grill cod, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Grill buns over medium heat for 30-60 seconds or until toasted.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine mayonnaise and salsa; spread over bun bottoms. Top with cod, tomato and cilantro; replace bun tops.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 277 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 512mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 31g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 2 starch.
Originally published as Breaded Fish Sandwich in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.