Salsa Chorizo Pizzas
Grilled pizza is a snap when starting with frozen bread dough. This version with a Mexican twist features a fresh homemade salsa and chorizo, a highly seasoned, coarsely ground pork sausage.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Grill: 5 min.
- 3 cups chopped seeded tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1/2 pound chorizo, cooked and crumbled
- In a large bowl, combine the salsa ingredients; set aside.
- Divide dough into fourths. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into an 8-in. circle. Lightly brush both sides of dough with oil; place on grill. Cover and grill over medium heat for 1-2 minutes or until the bottom is lightly browned.
- Remove from the grill. Top the grilled side of each pizza with 1/2 cup cheese, 1/4 cup chorizo and 1/2 cup salsa. Return to the grill. Cover and cook for 4-5 minutes or until the bottom is browned and cheese is melted. Refrigerate remaining salsa.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Originally published as Mexican Pizza in Backyard Living May/June 2006