Grilled pizza is a snap when starting with frozen bread dough. This version with a Mexican twist features a fresh homemade salsa and chorizo, a highly seasoned, coarsely ground pork sausage.
Recommended: 21 Dishes with an Egg on Top
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 cups chopped seeded tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1/2 pound chorizo, cooked and crumbled
- In a large bowl, combine the salsa ingredients; set aside.
- Divide dough into fourths. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into an 8-in. circle. Lightly brush both sides of dough with oil; place on grill. Cover and grill over medium heat for 1-2 minutes or until the bottom is lightly browned.
- Remove from the grill. Top the grilled side of each pizza with 1/2 cup cheese, 1/4 cup chorizo and 1/2 cup salsa. Return to the grill. Cover and cook for 4-5 minutes or until the bottom is browned and cheese is melted. Refrigerate remaining salsa. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Salsa Chorizo Pizzas in Backyard Living May/June 2006, p23
Reviews forSalsa Chorizo Pizzas
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 18, 2011
"Absolutely loved these! A new favorite!"