Give your fish a southwestern "kick" with Teresa Hubbard's change-of-pace preparation. "My sister doesn't like seafood, so I figured I'd disguise it with a mix of interesting tastes and textures," she explains from Russellville, Alabama. "Everyone was surprised by the slightly crunchy tortilla chip coating."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 cup finely crushed baked tortilla chip scoops
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 catfish fillets (4 ounces each)
- 1 cup salsa, warmed
- In a shallow bowl, combine tortilla chip crumbs and chili powder. In another bowl, combine lemon juice and oil. Dip fish in lemon mixture, then coat with crumb mixture.
- Place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coasted with cooking spray. Sprinkle with any remaining crumbs.
- Bake at 450° for 8-10 minutes or until fish easily flakes with a fork. Serve with salsa.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 278 calories, 16g fat (3g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 429mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Salsa Catfish in Light & Tasty October/November 2004