Salmon Zucchini Chowder
This rich and hearty light chowder from Vicki Thompson of Bristol, New Brunswick delivers many levels of flavor and is sure to warm those cold winter nights.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups 1% milk
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1 medium red potato, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/2 pound salmon fillet, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped zucchini
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook and stir the onion, garlic, thyme and basil in butter until onion is tender. Stir in the milk, broth, corn, carrot and potato. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 6-8 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Combine flour and water until smooth; stir into onion mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add salmon and zucchini. Simmer, uncovered, for 3-5 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Stir in salt and pepper. Sprinkle with cheese before serving.