This is the best soup I have ever made, according to my husband who loves salmon so much that he could eat it every day. When I get salmon, I try to make it a very special dish because salmon is a treat for both of us. —Hidemi Walsh, Plainfield, Indiana
Recommended: Top 10 Salmon Dinner Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 large potato, peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large carrot, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 5 medium fresh mushrooms, halved
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 pound salmon fillet, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- Place first four ingredients in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook, uncovered, until vegetables are tender, 10-15 minutes.
- Add mushrooms. In a small bowl, mix flour and milk until smooth; stir into soup. Return to a boil; cook and stir until mushrooms are tender. Reduce heat to medium; stir in cheese until melted.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add salmon; cook, uncovered, until fish just begins to flake easily with a fork, 3-4 minutes. Stir in pepper and salt. Sprinkle with dill. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Salmon Dill Soup in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes Annual 2017, p23