Salmon Chowder with Bacon
The salmon in this recipe is a change from traditional chowder, but it sure is delicious!—Cindy St. Martin, Portland, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 2 pounds red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound salmon fillets, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- In a Dutch oven, combine the potatoes, onion and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add salmon and bacon; cook over medium heat until fish flakes easily with a fork.
- Reduce heat; stir in the milk, cream, butter, salt and pepper; heat through (do not boil). Thicken if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 198 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 466mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 12g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.
Originally published as Salmon Chowder in Comfort Food Diet 2010