Salmon and Asparagus in Phyllo
Slice open these golden phyllo bundles, and you'll find steaming salmon fillets and tender asparagus in a creamy filling.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 4 cups water
- 12 asparagus spears, trimmed and halved widthwise
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- 4 salmon fillets (4 ounces each)
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil; add asparagus. Cook for 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and rinse under cold water; pat dry and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, egg substitute, onion, tarragon, salt and pepper; set aside. Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface with a short side toward the bottom; spray with cooking spray. Repeat with one more sheet of phyllo. Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent drying.
- Spread 2 rounded tablespoons of the cream cheese mixture over the bottom third of the rectangle to about the size of a salmon fillet. Top with six asparagus halves and one salmon fillet. Fold sides and bottom edge over fillet and roll up enclose salmon; trim end of phyllo if necessary. Spray with cooking spray.
- Place seam side down on an ungreased baking sheet. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 355 calories, 19g fat (7g saturated fat), 87mg cholesterol, 445mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 30g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 fat, 1 starch.
Originally published as Salmon and Asparagus in Phyllo in Light & Tasty April/May 2005