Salad with Hot Italian Dressing
I CREATED this recipe for a special dinner for our wedding anniversary, which is April 11. That's the perfect time to make this salad, when leaf lettuce is fresh and green onions and radishes come right out of the garden. -Bessie Hulett, Shively, Kentucky
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 2 cups torn leaf lettuce
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 2 radishes, sliced
- 1 medium tomato, cut into wedges
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3/4 teaspoon Italian salad dressing mix
- Arrange the lettuce, onions, radishes and tomato on a serving platter; set aside.
- In a small skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Add flour to drippings; stir until smooth. Cook over low heat for 3 minutes.
- Combine the vinegar, sugar, water and salad dressing mix; add to skillet. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Drizzle over salad. Top with bacon. Serve immediately. Refrigerate leftover dressing for up to 2 weeks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 280 calories, 20g fat (7g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 387mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Salad with Hot Italian Dressing in Reminisce March/April 1999