Sage ‘N’ Rosemary Pork Stew
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1 hour 20 min.
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 to 4 pounds), cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (49-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/4 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups cubed red potatoes
- 1 package (9 ounces) frozen cut green beans
- 1-1/2 cups frozen lima beans
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, brown pork in oil; drain. Add the broth, water, onion, rosemary, salt, sage and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 40-45 minutes or until pork is almost tender.
- Stir in the potatoes, beans and mustard. Return to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 40-45 minutes or until vegetables and pork are tender.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and cream; stir until smooth. Add to stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 299 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 772mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 medium-fat meat, 1 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 14, 2009
I was inititally going to give this recipe a so-so rating. However, my husband ate the leftovers after the stew had sat around for 2-3 days (he NEVER wants to throw anything out), and lo and behold he said it was delicious! Most stews improve with standing for 1-2 days, and this must be one of them. I also used leftover pork roast, along with some pork ends. I'll bet sweet potatoes or yams would be really good in this stew, too, instead of red potatoes!
Jan 20, 2009
I adjusted this recipe using left over pork roast. I also adjusted it to serve 4. Used russet potatoes and frozen mixed vegetables as that is what I had on hand. And it took less time as the meat was already cooked. It was very tasty.Always nice to have something to make using the left over roast.