- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup crushed saltines
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Pat meat mixture into an ungreased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50 minutes.
- Combine the ketchup, brown sugar, mustard and nutmeg; spread over top. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink and a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forSage Meat Loaf
"Very tasty ..."
"Only one of four diners didn't like it. He didn't like the sage in meatloaf. It was a good texture and seasoning, and the sauce was good."
"While this is a pretty good meat loaf, I'm giving my 5 stars to the sauce. There are only two of us, but I usually triple or quadruple the sauce recipe to use as a spread on meat loaf sandwiches."
"It came out of the pan very easily. It tasted very good even though ran out of sage so i used basil instead....."
"It was okay but not awesome"
"This made a nice flavorful moist meatloaf. I did find it stuck to the pan though so next time I will grease the pan. We did not add the topping because we don't like the sweet ketchup type toppings...we just left our plain, although next time I just might have to try the gravy suggestion another reviewer mentioned. Thanks TOH, for another great homestyle recipe!"
"Consider this my best recipe!"
"awesome recipe! we loved it! only thing I added was garlic!"
"Whenever I make meatloaf I use celery salt in place of the regular salt. This gave this recipe the seasoning I felt it needed. Will certainly make it again!"