- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 6 slices thinly sliced deli ham
- 6 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese, halved
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°. Pound chicken breasts with a meat mallet to 1/8-in. thickness; sprinkle with sage. Place ham, mozzarella cheese and tomato down the center of each; roll up chicken from a long side, tucking in ends. Secure with toothpicks.
- In a shallow bowl, toss bread crumbs with Parmesan cheese and parsley. In a shallow microwave-safe dish, microwave 3 tablespoons butter until melted. Dip chicken in butter, then roll in crumb mixture. Place in a greased 11x7-in. baking dish, seam side down. Melt remaining butter; drizzle over top.
- Bake, uncovered, until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°, 40-45 minutes. Discard toothpicks before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forSage Chicken Cordon Bleu
"I also used Panko and omitted the tomato. Very tasty weeknight meal."
"Used panko and dried parsley, omitted the tomato. I didn't pound out the chicken. Using a knife, I cut a nice deep pocket in one side of the chicken, then rubbed the inside with the sage. I layered the ham and cheese inside, then proceeded with the dipping and breading. I did not use toothpicks. Some cheese oozed out, but that was just fine with me! My husband and I enjoyed it very much, and I'll definitely be making it again."
"Delicious recipe! The tomato is a nice juicy addition. Made as directed, except sprinkled about 1 teaspoon of additional Parmesan each piece of mozzarella. This volunteer field editor will definitely make again!"
"Ooo La la! What a great recipe. I loved the taste of the tomato in this. The only change I made is that I used Italian flavored crumbs. Reviewed by a Volunteer Field Editor"
"wow was this ever good!!! The sage gave it a great, interesting flavor that I just loved!! chicken stayed moist and the outside coating was crisp. Excellent recipe!!"
"My entire family really enjoyed these. Both my 4 and 2 year old cleaned their plates. The only change I made was with the butter. I had quite a bit of leftover garlic butter from earlier in the week and used that. I'll definitely use garlic seasoned butter again, as it was a great addition."
"Wha an interesting version of chicken cordon bleu!! I followed the recipe almost exactly, my chicken breasts were large, so I butterflied them before pounding. They stayed together pretty well, but most of the cheese melted and ran out. We just put it on top!! I would probably spice it up a little more , but definitely liked the addition of sage"
"I made this tonight the flavor just wasnt there for me. The mozzarella made it a little sweet, unlike the traditional swiss that is usually in it. Didn't seem to be enough cheese in it, mine pretty much went MIA. Defiantly room for altering and making it your own. Tomato addition was different sparked an idea."
"What an easy and delicious way to make chicken! The tomatoes added just the right amount of "sweetness" and juiciness and the butter added richness. I used Roma tomatoes and Italian style breadcrumbs as well as dried parsley (instead of fresh). My husband said "it's a keeper", so I will surely be making this again. Five stars for sure!"