Sue Wagner of West Farmington, Ohio, an avid herb gardener, says, "Sage is subtle but wonderful in these cheesy crisp breadsticks. They're a fun snack or terrific served alongside a bowl of soup or a salad."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/3 cup cold water
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sage and salt; stir in cheese. Cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Cut in half lengthwise; cut each half widthwise into 1-in strips. Twist each strip two to three times.
- Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 425° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 70 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 186mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Sage Breadsticks in Taste of Home October/November 2002