Sue Wagner of West Farmington, Ohio, an avid herb gardener, says, "Sage is subtle but wonderful in these cheesy crisp breadsticks. They're a fun snack or terrific served alongside a bowl of soup or a salad."
Recommended: Genius Foods to Pack for Your Next Plane Ride
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/3 cup cold water
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sage and salt; stir in cheese. Cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Cut in half lengthwise; cut each half widthwise into 1-in strips. Twist each strip two to three times.
- Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 425° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Sage Breadsticks in Taste of Home October/November 2002, p18