Guests will be surprised to hear this dessert starts with a convenient cake mix. Each bite features chocolate, almonds and apricots. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup Amaretto
- 1 package devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cup apricot preserves
- 1 tablespoon Amaretto
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup toasted sliced almonds, optional
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Combine apricots and amaretto; let stand 15 minutes. In another bowl, combine cake mix, water, oil, eggs and apricot mixture. Beat on low speed 30 seconds; beat on medium 2 minutes.
- 2. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 22-27 minutes. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 3. For filling, heat apricot preserves and amaretto on low in a small saucepan, stirring occasionally, until preserves are melted; set aside.
- 4. For glaze, combine cream and corn syrup in a small saucepan. Bring just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; whisk until smooth. Stir in vanilla.
- 5. Using a long serrated knife, cut each cake horizontally in half. Place one layer on a serving plate; spread with half of the filling. Top with another layer; spread with a third of the glaze. Cover with third layer and remaining filling. Top with remaining layer; spread top and sides of torte with remaining glaze. If desired, spread toasted almonds on sides of torte. Refrigerate several hours before slicing. Yield: 16 servings.
1 slice: 415 calories, 21g fat (9g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 281mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Sachertorte
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC