Elegant and simple, these rich confection-like bars are a bite-sized take on the famous Viennese Sachertorte. It's traditionally made with apricot jam, but raspberry would be a nice twist.—Deirdre Cox, Kansas City, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min.+ cooling
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 jar (12 ounces) apricot preserves or seedless raspberry jam
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a large saucepan, melt butter and chocolate over low heat; stir until smooth. Remove from heat; cool until mixture is warm.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, sugar and vanilla. Whisk into chocolate mixture. Gradually add flour, mixing well.
- Spread into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake 15-17 minutes or until center is set. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Microwave preserves on high for 30 seconds, stirring halfway; spread over bars. Let stand until set. Cut into four rectangles; remove rectangles from pan. Layer two rectangles, jam side up. Cut into 20 bars. Repeat with remaining rectangles. Place bars on waxed paper-lined baking sheets.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over bars; refrigerate until set. Store between layers of waxed paper in an airtight container.
Originally published as SACHER BITES in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.