Elegant and simple, these rich confection-like bars are a bite-sized take on the famous Viennese Sachertorte. It's traditionally made with apricot jam, but raspberry would be a nice twist.—Deirdre Cox, Kansas City, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min.+ cooling
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 jar (12 ounces) apricot preserves or seedless raspberry jam
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a large saucepan, melt butter and chocolate over low heat; stir until smooth. Remove from heat; cool until mixture is warm.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, sugar and vanilla. Whisk into chocolate mixture. Gradually add flour, mixing well.
- Spread into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake 15-17 minutes or until center is set. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Microwave preserves on high for 30 seconds, stirring halfway; spread over bars. Let stand until set. Cut into four rectangles; remove rectangles from pan. Layer two rectangles, jam side up. Cut into 20 bars. Repeat with remaining rectangles. Place bars on waxed paper-lined baking sheets.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over bars; refrigerate until set. Store between layers of waxed paper in an airtight container.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.