Sacher Torte Brownies
Elevate brownies to a decadent goody by turning them into tasty morsels that are reminiscent of a Sacher Torte.—Pat Schmeling, Germantown, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + freezing Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 9 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 7 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped, divided
- 1 cup apricot preserves
- 12 dried apricots, quartered
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 325°. Line a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan with parchment paper; grease paper.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar until blended. Stir in vanilla and chocolate mixture. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to chocolate mixture. Spread into prepared pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 15-20 minutes (do not overbake). Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack; cool completely.
- Meanwhile, for topping, melt 1 ounce chocolate in a microwave; stir until smooth. Dip each apricot piece partway in chocolate, allowing excess to drip off; place on waxed paper until set. In a food processor, puree preserves just until smooth.
- Cut brownie into four 7-1/2x5-in. rectangles. Spread preserves over two rectangles; top with remaining rectangles. Freeze, covered, 20 minutes. Cut each portion into 12 squares; cut squares diagonally into triangles.
- Place cream, butter and remaining chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl; microwave at 50% power 1-2 minutes or until smooth, stirring twice. Cool slightly, stirring occasionally. Drizzle over brownies. Top with dipped apricots.
Nutrition Facts1 brownie: 145 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 50mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Sacher Torte Brownies in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2012