I love to experiment with bread recipes. This one is a favorite of my children and grandchildren. The soft, chewy breadsticks are delicious with a casserole or hearty bowl of soup.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup rye flour
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add honey; let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining water, whole wheat flour, rye flour and enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Do not let rise. Divide dough into 16 pieces. Roll each into a 10-in. rope. Place 2 in. apart on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 112 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 2mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Rye Breadsticks in Best of Country Breads
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.