- 7 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 7 tablespoons crumbled goat cheese
- 1 cup thinly sliced sweet onion
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded fontina cheese
- 4 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush with oil and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon goat cheese. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.) Repeat layers, brushing oil all the way to edges.
- Sprinkle onion over top to within 1 in. of edges; sprinkle with fontina cheese. Arrange tomato slices in a slightly overlapping pattern over fontina cheese. Sprinkle with chives, basil, salt and pepper. Bring up edges of tart over filling.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forRustic Tomato Cheese Tart
"I made this today; it was a hit. I find phyllo intimidating but it worked ok. The 7 sheets of phyllo are EACH brushed with oil and sprinkled with feta. [in response to an earlier question] When I tried to "bring the edges of tart over filling", the edges didn't want to stay upright, so I rolled up foil and wrapped it around the edge to create a support for the edge. It worked great. Once baked, I removed the foil support, transferred the tart on parchment paper to a serving platter, and trimmed the parchment paper. Everyone loved it."
"Made this for a luncheon. Everyone loved it. Looking to make it again soon."
"I made this for a summer luncheon using garden tomatoes. Besides tasting great, it is beautiful. Everyone loved it. I was gobbled up!"
"Made it for my women's club lunchen , they loved it..........and so did I!"
"I added 1 clove of garlic-minced, used big boy tomatoes- sliced, mozzarella cheese & cream cheese. Absolutely yummy. My favorite new recipe."
"This is an excellent recipe - I LOVE it! You can add meat or any other kind of veggies on this, too, to make it your own. Thank you!"
"easy and delicious"
"I made it like the recipe.....You cannot change perfection, and this is perfection!!!!!!!"
"Very good! I used a store bought shredded Italian cheese blend instead of fontina, and cream cheese instead of goat cheese. The phyllo part was a little labor intensive, but worth the trouble. Mine was ready after just 20 mins."
"I used cream cheese instead of goat cheese and mozzarella instead of fontina, much cheaper and just as good!"